Hall of Shame: Kieffe & Sons Ford
Like a Used Car Salesman
It appears that Kieffe & Sons Ford doesn’t particularly think too highly of atheists, and they were actually DUMB enough to promote that opinion in one of their radio broadcast ads. The Execs on Madison Avenue might disagree with this move, but the Kieffe boys have Jesus on their side – and Jesus sells!
Transcript: “Did you know that there are people in this country who want prayer out of schools, ‘Under God’ out of the Pledge, and ‘In God We Trust’ to be taken off our money? But did you know that 86% of Americans say they believe in God? Since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God, we at Kieffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don’t tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up. I guess I just offended 14% of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that’s tough, this is America folks, it’s called free speech. None of us at Kieffe & Sons Ford is afraid to speak out. Kieffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don’t see you today, by the grace of God, we’ll be here tomorrow.”
For a short while they did place a non-explanation (which didn’t address the actual offense) and an insincere apology (but no retraction) on their Contact Us page:
This statement is provided in response to reaction prompted by a radio commercial that Kieffe & Sons Ford recently ran referring to issues of God in our schools and on our money.
“For 15 years, Kieffe & Sons Ford has run ad campaigns that focus on current events. We have chosen to do this rather than presenting typical car sales ads. We do this through an agency that develops the material and sends us a package of commercials to review. From this, we select commercials that we distribute to area radio stations. Frequently we emphasize humor and patriotic themes, as we are located adjacent to two military bases. Public response over these 15 years has been hugely positive, often eliciting calls and visits from appreciative individuals. Regrettably, the commercial that has prompted the current objection to religious sentiment (“Under God”, “In God We Trust”) was not closely reviewed by our dealership before it went live. The commercial has been replaced. We apologize to all who were offended. It is Kieffe & Sons’ intention to support America and the freedoms that make this country great.”
I sent them an email telling them in my own very special way what I thought of them. Their response was one sentence in the email subject line:
“You are going to hell for sure.”
Why don’t you send these jackasses a note yourself and see what words of divine wisdom they have for you. They may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And feel free to let Ford Motor Company know how their good name is being soiled by these hatemongers.